Wirksworth men played cricket in 1757 in the first match recorded
in Derbyshire history and Wirksworth Cricket Club was formally
established in 1849, playing at Broadmeadow in the heart of town,
where we have played for over 160 years. In Victorian times the
club was one of the strongest in the county, three times hosting the
All England team, and the Edwardian age was our first golden age with
several club players representing Derbyshire. That confident
success died in the first world war and the twenties and thirties
were undistinguished decades.
In 1939 cricket was suspended for 'the duration of hostilities',
with bats, pads and stumps spread round Wirksworth for the next six
years. They pitched those stumps in the first post-war game.
When cricketers returned in 1945 they found the facilities in a
disastrous state; field overgrown, ground equipment rusted, the
enormous hedge uncut, the pavilion doors smashed and the crockery
broken. The boundary fence was rusted and the old wooden
benches broken up for the victory bonfire.
'This is what we have been fighting for', Arthur Killer, club
secretary, proclaimed and the club began a dedicated effort to
rebuild. Post-war the club played good class friendly cricket
around the Derbyshire Dales, until in 1971 we joined the Derbyshire
The 150th anniversary was celebrated in 1999 and 2018 sees the 10th anniversary of Wirksworth's unification with ancient rivals Middleton CC.
club has grounds in two beautiful locations, with a
handsome new pavilion in Wirkworth and new changing rooms and facilities at Middleton. The top three of the four senior teams were
promoted in 2018, the 1st XI returning to the Premier League, and it has seven junior squads and cricket for women and